• AGM-114A, B, and C Hellfire and anti-tank missiles up to 16 total
• AGM-114F Hellfire anti-ship missiles – up to 16 total
• 70mm Rockets, 19 or 7 shot pods – up to 76 total
• AIM-9 Sidewinder (A superior supersonic air-to-air missile with infrared target detection for fire and forget capability.)
• LUU-2A/B nighttime illumination flare
• Mk 77 fire bombs
• 77 and 100 gallon external auxiliary fuel tanks
• 20 mm cannon (With a higher muzzle velocity and flatter trajectory for better accuracy, it is capable of handling M50-series rounds designed specifically for air-to-air combat)
• MK 76 practice bombs
• BDU-33D/B practice bombs
• MK 106 practice bombs
Survivability & Crashworthiness
Like no other attack helicopter in the world, the AH-1Z survives combat with an advanced countermeasure suite, which includes:
• AVR-2A Laser Warning Receiver
• APR-39A(v) 2 Radar Warning Receiver
• ALE-47 “Smart” Countermeasures Dispenser and
• AAR-47 Missile Warning Device.
...and the latest airframe technologies, such as:
• Energy attenuating crashworthy seats
• Energy-absorbing landing gear
• Self sealing fuel tanks and fuel systems
• Fuel vapor inerting systems
• Mass retention designs to ensure major components stay where they should in the event of a crash, and many other advanced features.
The AH-1Z is a design for the 21st century. Produced to meet the stringent requirements of the USMC today – its aircraft design brings together proven AH-1W airframe reliability, a new composite four bladed rotor system and powerful T700-GE-401engines. With virtually identical front and rear cockpits, fully integrated weapons, avionics and communications systems the AH-1Z flies with the most advanced aircraft survivability equipment in the world. The AH-1Z is truly state-of-the-art.
Best Targeting System
Target identification is critical in the complex post-cold war and urban conflict environments. The AH-1Z Target Sight System (TSS) incorporates a third-generation FLIR and currently provides the longest range, lowest jitter and highest weapons' accuracy possible of any helicopter sight in the world. In addition, the completely passive and automatic system scans the battlefield without emitting trackable radar, positively identifying and tracking multiple targets at ranges beyond the maximum range of its weapons system.
Helmet Mounted Sight and Display System
The "Top Owl" Helmet Mounted Sight and Display (HMS/D) system supports improved communication and reduced cockpit workload. Manufactured by THALES Avionics, the Top Owl HMS/D is the most technically advanced helmet available. Upgradeable "in-service" and as additional requirements develop, it combines both avionics function with the aircrew life support and protection into a single unit.
Designed for lower maintenance, with the helicopter mechanic in mind, the AH-1Z is one of the most reliable aircraft made. Maintenance features of the AH-1Z include:
• Fault detection sensors that facilitate “on-condition” maintenance
• Interactive Electronic Technical Manuals
• Better accessibility
• Elimination of certain maintenance tasks
• Less maintenance man hours per flight hour
• Less spares storage requirement
Identical front and rear cockpits provide the true ability to fly and fight from either cockpit, so there's no need to have separate training programs for front or back seaters.
The Hands on Collective and Stick (HOCAS) side-stick architecture, allows pilot function without removing hands from the collective flight controls. Color displays are large, multifunctional and combined with the moving-map technology. Helmet mounted displays provide all the information required to engage the enemy more quickly and accurately.
H1 Program Commonality
Shared dynamics and nearly identical cockpits vastly reduces the logistical tail, procurement and training costs required to support a large fleet of mixed type aircraft. The AH-1Z and UH-1Y have 84% commonality with identical components.
Just as the AH-1W is being rebuilt and redesigned into the AH-1Z, the US Marine Corps Huey helicopters are being rebuilt and redesigned as well. The traditional reliability of the Huey series now contributes to the outstanding performance, state-of-the-art dynamics and avionics of the H1 Program.